Saturday, October 1, 2011

Elijah's Quilt


Posted by Picasa
I had lots of fabric left over from Cullen's quilt, and just went ahead and made another one, this time a decidedly modern version. Half of the front is the striped fabric I used for the back of Cullen's quilt, and the other half is improvisationally pieced in strips. I wanted to showcase as many of those cute little animals as possible.

The back is pieced with the dark chocolate polka dots and a horizontal stripe of scraps, mostly orange. I like the way this one came together, but I don't love the quilting. I tried to do wavy intersecting lines, but I don't think it was very successful. Perhaps if I had used a lighter thread color. Or, maybe if there were more lines? I just might have given up too soon. But. Definitely learning. And I think next time I try machine quilting I'll need a walking foot. I tried to do it without one, and I had lots of bunched up sections. Not super cute. :(

What I love about this process is that every time I make a quilt, I learn something new. It's definitely a trial-by-error sort of thing. Which can be incredibly frustrating, I realize. But I really am enjoying the journey. For once!

Elijah's Quilt was completed on May 22, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment